Founded in 1955, ICICI Bank grew to become one of India’s largest banks. The bank has traditionally been on the forefront of societal trends and technologies in the delivery of banking services. This case study provides an in-depth look at the organizational culture of the bank through two leaders with distinct approaches. Students are given the opportunity to study the ways in which culture can be created from the top-down, and are allowed to explore concepts relating to organizational leadership. Students are asked to consider how different leadership styles and objectives can be used to shape not just the strategic objectives of an organization, but can shape the culture as well.
ICICI Bank: Aligning Corporate Culture with Strategy
by: Bindu Gupta, Sandeep Puri
Core Disciplines: Accounting/Finance, Leadership/Organizational Behavior, Strategy & Management
Click on any button below to view the available document.
Make sure you are registered and/or logged in to our site to view product documents. Once registered & approved, faculty, staff, & course aggregators will have access to full inspection copies and teaching notes for any of our materials.
If you need to make copies, you MUST purchase the corresponding number of permissions, and you must own a single copy of the product.
Electronic Downloads are available immediately after purchase. "Quantity" reflects the number of copies you intend to use. Unauthorized distribution of these files is prohibited pursuant to term of use of this website.
This product has a teaching note available. Available only to Registered Educators. Please login to view it.
After reading and discussing the material, students should:
- What type of organizational culture did ICICI develop during Kamath’s era, and how appropriate was it for the bank at the time?
- Why can continuing to follow a successful strategy lead to failure?
- What is the impact of organizational culture on customer-service orientation?
- What initiatives were taken by Kochhar to convert ICICI’s image from an aggressive organization to a more employee-friendly and customer-centric organization?
- What is an appropriate action plan to sustain the cultural changes within an organization?