To compete in the fast developing Indian e-commerce arena, Flipkart initiated one of the most ambitious online sales events the country had ever seen. Despite the excitement the sale caused, Flipkart failed to proactively enact the proper IT systems to handle increased consumer demand. Beyond its own technical planning shortcomings, the e-tailer’s competitors Snapdeal and Amazon utilized successful ambush marketing to draw disgruntled customers away from Flipkart to their websites. Students will analyze the importance of IT in supporting business operations and will develop relevant marketing strategies to mitigate the recurrence of successful ambush marketing from competitors.
Flipkart: The Big Billion Day Fiasco
Click on any button below to view the available document.
Make sure you are registered and/or logged in to our site to view product documents. Once registered & approved, faculty, staff, & course aggregators will have access to full inspection copies and teaching notes for any of our materials.
If you need to make copies, you MUST purchase the corresponding number of permissions, and you must own a single copy of the product.
Electronic Downloads are available immediately after purchase. "Quantity" reflects the number of copies you intend to use. Unauthorized distribution of these files is prohibited pursuant to term of use of this website.
This product has a teaching note available. Available only to Registered Educators. Please login to view it.
After reading and discussing the material, students should:
- Develop customer relationship management strategies for an online audience.
- Create a strategic positioning statement for deriving a competitive advantage in a complex industry.
- Iterate the role of IT in implementing and executing a business strategy.
- Discuss what factors should be addressed by IT in the development of an online sales event.
- Articulating methods to manage ambush marketing.