Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc., the hybrid corn company division of Dupont, has engaged with PEACE (People’s Action for Creative Education) to serve the base of the pyramid markets in India. The partnership between Pioneer and PEACE allows Pioneer to distribute its quality seeds to village farmers through PEACE. This is an example of a for-profit/non-profit partnership serving BoP markets. The case provides an inside look at the impact of the Pioneer/PEACE partnership through interviews with Indian farmers using Pioneer’s engineered seeds. It also sheds light on the advantages and limitations of the venture’s efforts to reduce production and transactional constraints of the Indian farmers.
Global Seeds to Village Farmers: Hearing the Voices at the BoP
by: Ted London
Click on any button below to view the available document.
Make sure you are registered and/or logged in to our site to view product documents. Once registered & approved, faculty, staff, & course aggregators will have access to full inspection copies and teaching notes for any of our materials.
If you need to make copies, you MUST purchase the corresponding number of permissions, and you must own a single copy of the product.
Electronic Downloads are available immediately after purchase. "Quantity" reflects the number of copies you intend to use. Unauthorized distribution of these files is prohibited pursuant to term of use of this website.
This product has a teaching note available. Available only to Registered Educators. Please login to view it.
After reading and discussing the material, students should:
- Understand the challenges and opportunities of cross-sectoral partnerships between non-profits and companies.
- Apply this thinking to a specific cross-sectoral partnership.
- Understand the constraints faced by base of the pyramid (BoP) producers.
- Explore the effectiveness of business models designed to serve BoP producers. In particular, assess the specific advantages and limitations of this partnership in reducing the constraints of BoP farmers.
- Make recommendations for enhancing value creation in an existing initiative (in this case, the partnership among Pioneer, CARE, and PEACE).