We plan to conduct two informational webinars regarding the 2024 DEI Global Case Writing Competition, as follows:
Case Writing Documents & Links:
Sample Case Studies:
- DEI Case Collection at WDI Publishing
- How Do We Get There? EDF Manages a New Diversity Plan
- Darden Restaurants: Diversity and Sustainability Boost Company Bottom Line
- Walmart and Small Producers from the Developing World: Linking Demand with Supply
- Walmart and USAID: The Evolution of a Global Cross-Sector Partnership
Case Writing Books:
- Ellet, William. The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases. Harvard Business Press, 2007.
- Leenders, Michiel R., Louise A. Mauffette-Leenders and James A. Erskine. Writing Cases, 4th ed., Richard Ivey School of Business, 2001.
Information about DEI:
- Postykina, Valery. “Embracing Inclusion and Diversity in the 2024 Workspace: Fostering a Thriving and Harmonious Environment.” LinkedIn, 28 July 2023. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/embracing-inclusion-diversity-2024-workspace-thriving-postykina/.
- Shuman, Eric, Eric Knowles, and Amit Goldenberg. “To Overcome Resistance to DEI, Understand What’s Driving It.” Harvard Business Review, 1 Mar. 2023. https://hbr.org/2023/03/to-overcome-resistance-to-dei-understand-whats-driving-it.
- Davis, Kathleen. “How DEI Work is Being Threatened Post-Affirmative Action Ban and How Companies Fight Back.” Fast Company, 9 Oct. 2023. https://www.fastcompany.com/90961850/how-has-affirmative-action-ban-impacted-dei-progress?partner=rss&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=rss+fastcompany&utm_content=rss.
- Opie, Tina, and Ella F. Washington. “Why Companies Can – and Should – Recommit to DEI in the Wake of the SCOTUS Decision.” Harvard Business Review, 27 July 2023. https://hbr.org/2023/07/why-companies-can-and-should-recommit-to-dei-in-the-wake-of-the-scotus-decision.
- Mark, Saralyn. ”From UFOs to DEI: Why diversity, equity and inclusion should go interstellar.” The Hill, 16 Aug. 2023. https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/4153930-from-ufos-to-dei-why-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-should-go-interstellar/.
- Alfonseca, Kiara, and Max Zahn. “How Corporate America is Slashing DEI workers amid backlash to diversity programs.” ABC News, 7 July 2023. https://abcnews.go.com/US/corporate-america-slashing-dei-workers-amid-backlash-diversity/story?id=100477952#:~:text=DEI%20begins%20to%20disappear,accelerated%20significantly%2C%20the%20study%20found.
- Kujawinski, Peter. “Building a New Life in an Unlikely Migrant Destination.” New York Times, 4 Oct. 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/04/us/taliban-afghanistan-migrants-nashville.html.
- Chen, Te-Ping, and Lauren Weber. “The Rise and Fall of the Chief Diversity Officer.” Wall Street Journal, 21 July 2023. https://www.wsj.com/articles/chief-diversity-officer-cdo-business-corporations-e110a82f.
- Novelli, Bill. “America Can’t Fulfill Its Purpose If We Backslide on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.” Fortune, 6 June 2023. https://fortune.com/2023/06/06/america-cant-fulfill-its-purpose-if-we-backslide-on-diversity-equity-inclusion-careers-business-politics-bill-novelli/.
- Wood, Sarah. “DEI Bans at Colleges: What Students Should Know.” US News & World Report, 18 Aug. 2023. https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/dei-bans-at-colleges-what-students-should-know.
- Minkin, Rachel. “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Workplace.” Pew Research Center, 17 May 2023. https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2023/05/17/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-in-the-workplace/.
- Lombardo, Emily. “What Does DEI Look Like Outside the U.S.?” Worldwide ERC, 26 July 2023. https://www.worldwideerc.org/news/global-workforce/what-does-dei-look-like-outside-the-us.
- Washington, Ella F. “The Five Stages of DEI Maturity.” Harvard Business Review, Nov.-Dec. 2022. https://hbr.org/2022/11/the-five-stages-of-dei-maturity.
- Fortt, Sarah E., et al. “Diversity matters: the four scary legal risks hiding in your DEI program.” Reuters, 15 June 2023. https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindustry/diversity-matters-four-scary-legal-risks-hiding-your-dei-program-2023-06-15/.
- Konotey-Ahulu, Olivia. “Gen Z’s Desire for DEI Focus Clashes with Reality of Culture Wars.” Bloomberg News, 6 Sept. 2023. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-06/gen-z-s-desire-for-dei-focus-clashes-with-reality-of-culture-wars#xj4y7vzkg.
- Hsu, Andrea. “Corporate DEI Inititatives are Facing Cutbacks and Legal Attacks.” National Public Radio, 19 Aug. 2023. https://www.npr.org/2023/08/19/1194595310/dei-affirmative-action-supreme-court-layoffs-diversity-equity-inclusion.
- Friedersdorf, Conor. “The DEI Industry Needs to Check Its Privilege.” The Atlantic, 31 May 2023. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/05/dei-training-initiatives-consultants-companies-skepticism/674237/.
- Guynn, Jessica. “Big Business under GOP Attack for ‘Woke’ DEI Efforts, Urges Biden to Weigh In.” USA Today, 22 Sept. 2023. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/09/22/businesses-ask-biden-for-help-dei-attacks/70922291007/.
- Flake, Ebony. “What Matters Most in 2023: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Leaders Share Predictions On What Lies Ahead for DEI, And What Companies Must Do To Get It Right.” Essence, 22 Dec. 2022. https://www.essence.com/news/money-career/diversity-equity-inclusion-predictions-2023/.
- Men, Rita. “Workers Like It When Their Employers Talk About Diversity and Inclusion.” The Conversation, 30 Aug. 2023. https://theconversation.com/workers-like-it-when-their-employers-talk-about-diversity-and-inclusion-208727.
- Chapman, Tom. “Sustainable Brands Lose Customers to Lack of DEI Commitment.” Sustainability, 25 Sept. 2023. https://sustainabilitymag.com/diversity-and-inclusion-dandi/sustainable-brands-lose-customers-to-lack-of-dei-commitment.
- “Without investment, gender equality will take nearly 300 years: UN report.” United Nations News, 7 Sept. 2022. https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/09/1126171.
- Nova, Annie. “How Older Workers can Push Back Against the Reality of Ageism.” CNBC, 20 Mar. 2022. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/20/how-older-workers-can-push-back-against-the-reality-of-ageism-.html.
- Parolin, Zachary and Emma K. Lee. “The Role of Poverty and Racial Discrimination in Exacerbating the Health Consequences of COVID-19.” The Lancet, vol. 7, Mar. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lana.2021.100178.
- Bowdler, Janis and Benjamin Harris. “Racial Inequality in the United States.” U.S. Department of the Treasury, 21 July 2022. https://home.treasury.gov/news/featured-stories/racial-inequality-in-the-united-states.
- Nafiu, Olubukola O. “So, You Want Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion? Ten Practical Tips for Establishing Sustainable Change.” Anesthesia & Analgesia, 137, no. 1, Oct. 2023, pp. 772-776. DOI: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000006489.
- Miranda, Vianka Esteves, and Elizabeth Abington Prejean. “Assessment Model for Programmatic Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Initiatives.” International Journal of Business and Social Science Research, vol. 4, no. 1, 2023. https://doi.org/10.47742/ijbssr.v4n1p1.
- Uysal, Nur. “Resolved: Exploring the Role of Dialogic Engagement in Shareholder Activism for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.” Journal of Public Relations Research, 2023, pp. 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/1062726X.2023.2260513.
- Fitzsimmons, Stacey, et al. “Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in International Business: A Review and Research Agenda.” Journal of International Business Studies, vol. 54, 2023, pp. 1402-1422. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41267-023-00642-x.
- Marques, Joan, et al. “Drawing on Eastern Spiritual Traditions of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as Guideposts in an Increasingly Unpredictable World.” Journal of Business Ethics, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-023-05524-8.
- Bruni, Sylvain, et al. “Developing a Human-Centered Corporate Metric for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, & Antiracism in a Small Business: A Case Study and Lessons Learned.” Special Issue: Proceedings of the 67th Human Factors and Ergonomics Society International Annual Meeting, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1177/21695067231192523.
- Chigudu, Daniel. “Strength in diversity: An opportunity for Africa’s development.” Cogent Social Sciences, vol. 4, no. 1, 2018, 1558715. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2018.1558715.
- Ainscow, Mel. “Diversity and Equity: A Global Education Challenge.” New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies, vol. 51, no. 2, 2016, pp. 143-55. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40841-016-0056-x#Abs1.
- “Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity – Press Conference.” YouTube, uploaded by United Nations, 3 Sept. 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lcAAt15HoE.
- Wilson, Brittanie. “What EVERYONE Needs to Know About Disability Rights in 2022.” YouTube, uploaded by AMSCI 1 Feb. 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1fHtC8UjJM.
- “Inclusion Starts with I.” YouTube, uploaded by Accenture, 23 June 2017, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g88Ju6nkcg.
- “To Speak Up for Inclusion, we need to speak about inclusion.” YouTube, uploaded by RBC, 13 June 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBBirlVxVsg.
Thank you for the support of our sponsors. Learn more about them here.