We plan to conduct three informational webinars regarding the DEI Global Case Writing Competition, as follows:
Information about DEI:
- Stahl, Ashley. “What’s to Come in 2021 for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace.” Forbes, 14 Apr. 2021. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleystahl/2021/04/14/whats-to-come-in-2021-for-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-in-the-workplace/?sh=1d7f0b107f26.
- Decherd, William, Diana Ellsworth and Maital Guttman. “LGBTQ+ voices: Speaking out and looking ahead.” McKinsey & Company, 29 June 2021. https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/diversity-and-inclusion/lgbtq-plus-voices-speaking-out-and-looking-ahead.
- Le, Jeff. “I Thought I Knew How to Succeed as an Asian in U.S. Politics. Boy, Was I Wrong.” Politico, 3 Apr. 2021. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/03/asian-american-aapi-political-power-covid-19-478845.
- Madokoro, Laura. “History of Asian activism tells us to share the burden of responsibility in fighting racism.” The Conversation, 25 Apr. 2021. https://theconversation.com/history-of-asian-activism-tells-us-to-share-the-burden-of-responsibility-in-fighting-racism-158732.
- Sellers, Robert M. “Black and Exhausted in America.” The Chronicle of Higher Education, 3 June 2020. https://www.chronicle.com/article/how-long-must-we-wait.
- Cooper, Marianne. “Research: Women Leaders Took On Even More Invisible Work During the Pandemic.” Harvard Business Review, 13 Oct. 2021. https://hbr.org/2021/10/research-women-took-on-even-more-invisible-work-during-the-pandemic.
- Rummler, Orion. “‘It’s Not Like We’re Helpless’: Schools Must Protect LGBTQ+ Students from Bullying, Experts Say.” them, 14 Oct. 2021. https://www.them.us/story/half-of-lgbtq-middle-and-high-school-students-were-bullied-last-year.
- Cabral, Amber. “6 ways diversity and inclusion will change this year.” Fast Company, 1 Feb. 2021. https://www.fastcompany.com/90599056/6-ways-diversity-and-inclusion-will-change-this-year.
- Simpson, Jennifer S., Sulaimon Giwa, and Verna St. Denis. “In times of racial injustice, university education should not be ‘neutral’.” The Conversation, 12 Sept. 2021. https://theconversation.com/in-times-of-racial-injustice-university-education-should-not-be-neutral-158352.
- Alvarez, Maximillian. “Slouching Toward Equity: The lonely task of the chief diversity officer.” The Chronicle of Higher Education, 10 Sept. 2020. https://www.chronicle.com/article/slouching-toward-equity?cid2=gen_login_refresh&cid=gen_sign_in.
- Sahadi, Jeanne. “Corporate America promised to get more diverse. But it’s still mostly White women making gains.” CNN, 8 June 2021. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/08/success/board-diversity-corporate-america/index.html.
- Kasera, Akansha and Malika Anand. “Building Inclusion Into the Investment Process: Four Steps for Addressing Bias Against Women Startup Founders.” Nextbillion, 4 May 2021. https://nextbillion.net/inclusion-investment-bias-women-startup-founders/.
- WP BrandStudio. “Going Deeper with diversity and inclusion.” Washington Post, 5 Jan. 2021. https://www.washingtonpost.com/brand-studio/wp/2021/01/05/feature/going-deeper-with-diversity-and-inclusion/.
- Barrington, Lisa. “Rights group urges Kuwait to overturn transgender woman’s conviction.” Reuters, 14 Oct. 2021. https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/rights-group-urges-kuwait-overturn-transgender-womans-conviction-2021-10-14/.
- Jones, Charisse, Jayme Fraser and Dian Zhang. “Racial justice in the workplace: In-depth look at diversity’s struggle to crack corporate boardrooms.” USA Today, Updated 23 July 2021. https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/money/business/2021/07/18/workplace-diversity-struggles-break-into-corporate-boardrooms/7906529002/.
- “Diversity and Inclusion: An Asia Pacific Perspective.” Mercer, 2014. https://www.asean.mercer.com/content/dam/mercer/attachments/asia-pacific/asia/Mercer_Diversity_and_Inclusion_An_Asia_Pacific_Perspective_ExecutiveSummary_10661D-HC.pdf.
- Manterola, Cristina. “Reinforcing the Need for Diversity in Latin America’s Boardrooms.” Egon Zehnder, 4 Sept. 2019. https://www.egonzehnder.com/what-we-do/diversity-inclusion/insights/reinforcing-the-need-for-diversity-in-latin-americas-boardrooms.
- Ainscow, Mel. “Diversity and Equity: A Global Education Challenge.” New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies, vol. 51, no. 2, 2016, pp. 143-55. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40841-016-0056-x#Abs1.
- Chigudu, Daniel. “Strength in diversity: An opportunity for Africa’s development.” Cogent Social Sciences, vol. 4, no. 1, 2018, 1558715. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2018.1558715.
- Denworth, Lydia. “A Civil Rights Expert Explains the Social Science of Police Racism.” Scientific American, 4 June 2020. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-civil-rights-expert-explains-the-social-science-of-police-racism/.
- “Inclusion Starts with I.” YouTube, uploaded by Accenture, 23 June 2017, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g88Ju6nkcg.
- “Legos and the 4 I's of Oppression.” YouTube, uploaded by Eliana Pipes, 29 June 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWyVRo4Uas.
- “To Speak Up for Inclusion, we need to speak about inclusion.” YouTube, uploaded by RBC, 13 June 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBBirlVxVsg.
- “Chief Diversity Officer at eBay on humanizing diversity and inclusion.” YouTube, uploaded by HR Directors Network, 11 July 2017, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-5rNeB190.
- “Measuring What Matters in Gender Diversity.” YouTube, uploaded by Boston Consulting Group, 3 Apr. 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MKGHSUHO-E.
- “The science of inclusion: Quinetta Roberson at TEDxVillanovaU.” YouTube, uploaded by TEDx Talks, 8 Jan. 2014, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7ID8VClko&feature=emb_logo.
Case Writing Documents & Links:
- WDI Publishing: How to Write a Business Case Study
- WDI Publishing: How to Write a Teaching Note
- Best Practices & Preferred Style for WDI Publishing Cases
- FAQs for Featured Organizations
- MLA Citation Guidelines
- Microsoft Word Endnotes & Footnotes Feature in MLA Style
- Additional case writing resources available here.
Sample Case Studies:
- How Do We Get There? EDF Manages a New Diversity Plan
- Darden Restaurants: Diversity and Sustainability Boost Company Bottom Line
- Walmart and Small Producers from the Developing World: Linking Demand with Supply
- Walmart and USAID: The Evolution of a Global Cross-Sector Partnership
- The Dow Chemical Company: The Inseparability of Safety and Business Success
Case Writing Books:
- Ellet, William. The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases. Harvard Business Press, 2007.
- Leenders, Michiel R., Louise A. Mauffette-Leenders and James A. Erskine. Writing Cases, 4th ed., Richard Ivey School of Business, 2001.
Thank you for the support of our sponsors. Learn more about them here.
University Diversity &
Social Transformation Professorship