Harold Dureza has been tapped to lead the Philippine Department of Energy team to find the root cause of the most recent coal mine accident at Semirara Island, which has left nine workers dead. He has been pouring over maps, data, and reports. It is Friday. He and his team just returned to the office yesterday. They have spent the past two weeks taking pictures and researching the cause of the accident at Semirara Island. Dureza has a weekend to review the materials. He is due to present his report to his boss Tuesday. Can he compose a narrative of the chain of events?
Dark Matter of Conflict: The Semirara Coal Mine Accident
Click on any button below to view the available document.
Make sure you are registered and/or logged in to our site to view product documents. Once registered & approved, faculty, staff, & course aggregators will have access to full inspection copies and teaching notes for any of our materials.
If you need to make copies, you MUST purchase the corresponding number of permissions, and you must own a single copy of the product.
Electronic Downloads are available immediately after purchase. "Quantity" reflects the number of copies you intend to use. Unauthorized distribution of these files is prohibited pursuant to term of use of this website.
This product does not have a teaching note.
After reading and discussing the material, students should:
- Apply critical concepts to define a solution to the case.
- Critically analyze and discuss other responses and solutions to the case,
- Draw lessons from the case analysis,
- Generalize the case's teachings to other business challenges and decisions in organizations other than the one analyzed in this case study,
- Demonstrate leadership and scholarship in analysis.