DESCRIPTION: First Place Winner - 2013 NextBillion Case Writing Competition. BTPN is a mid-size bank in Indonesia with a successful business model that also creates positive social change (following its mission to “Do Good and Do Well”). The Bank’s president, Jerry Ng, is faced with the dilemma of how to grow the business: Should BTPN expand its micro-lending to include the productive poor at the Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP)? The decision should be based on a comprehensive understanding of BTPN’s environment, business model, strategy, and systems; while considering the feasibility of execution.
After discussing this case, students will be able to:
- Describe the social, political, and market dynamics of a developing economy (Indonesia).
- Evaluate BTPN’s current strategy, business model, SWOT analysis, and competitive position.
- Assess BTPN’s current systems — operations, process management, technology, human resource management, and data management.
- Decide how BTPN should grow by evaluating new markets (BOP), new products, and/or new systems.
- Develop executable recommendations tied to BTPN’s business model and competitive strategy.
Secondary Tags: Business and Society; Financial Services; Innovation
Sales Rank: #111