DESCRIPTION: This case describes the strategic and environmental challenges at Tandus (formerly Collins & Aikman Floorcoverings, Inc), one of the world’s leaders in floor covering products. Case B gives an update on the pathway that Tandus followed from 2002 to 2009, in particular with its environmental strategy. It discusses such issues as policy changes, the competitive landscape, and Tandus’ new product development. Case B asks student what Tandus’ new CEO, Glen Hussmann, should consider while moving the company forward, especially in regards to its expansion into China.
This case can be used by an instructor to make the following points:
- PVC recycling is no longer a distinctive game and product innovation will be key to the company's continued success
- PVB represents the next big PVC-free technology.
- To provide maximum differentiation from Interface, Tandus should leverage its PVB experience by establishing PVB recovery capability in Asia (perhaps India rather than China) and Europe.
- The Crossley and Monterey acquisitions represent both problems and opportunities.
- PVB will buy time, but ultimately, the company will need to “leapfrog” to bio-based or other “clean” technologies to solidify its position as a sustainability leader.
Secondary Tags: Consumer Products; Manufacturing
Sales Rank: #294