DESCRIPTION: This conceptual note is focused on one of the most important aspects of international trade and commerce – maritime transportation. The majority of global trade, in fact more than 90 percent of world trade in terms of tonnage, travels by sea. From raw materials to finished consumer goods, this system is vital to the world economy. This note outlines the key aspects, players, and challenges related to seaborne trade. It is an essential tool for today’s global supply chain managers.
After discussing this case study, students will be able to:
- describe appropriate business terms and principles approriate to this case,
- apply critical concepts from earlier learning to define a solution to the case,
- successfully articulate data and information in support of the solution proposed,
- critically analyze and discuss other responses and solutions to the case,
- draw lessons from the case analysis,
- generalize the learnings of this case to other business challenges and decisions in organizations other than the one analyzed in this case study,
- demonstrate leadership and scholarship in analysis.
Secondary Tags: Consumer Products; Globalization; Globalization of Services; Manufacturing
Sales Rank: #451